They put a spell on you, and now, you belong to them. It’s been a quick 22 years since the release of a Halloween classic, but there’s still no preventing it from coming around every October. Its characters are unpleasant, ugly and old, but do NOT tell them that Costume Discounters said that.
Have you forgotten the Sanderson sisters from Hocus Pocus? Need a refresher? Disney’s evil trio, Winifred, Mary and Sarah, was executed three centuries ago for witchcraft, and it seemed as though the residents of Salem, MA were safe from their madness and spells. Max, the film’s protagonist, is a newbie to Salem, and he is unaware of the repercussions of lighting a certain candle. The witches are back.
They only have until the sun rises on the morning after Halloween to live, though, unless they can suck the youth out of an unwilling victim. Fortunately for the town’s children, Thackery Binx, who fell victim to the sisters once upon a time and continued to live on as a cat, has vowed to protect them from the same fate.
Hocus Pocus has taken its fair criticisms over the years, though, with plenty of people calling it overrated. This list of reasons will help you justify your love for the timeless tale:
- The Sanderson Sisters – They’re played by Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy! Enough said.
- Thackery Binx – Do you know any cats that can talk and save every single child in a well-populated New England town? Exactly. Most cats consider sleeping to be an accomplishment.
- The Winifred Death Stare – The eldest sister’s look is one for the books, and proves very useful throughout the film.
- Sarah’s Child-like Excitement – This witch’s innocence, in spite of being, ya know… evil, keeps the film’s light-hearted personality.
- Mary’s Infamous Snarl – The middle child of the witches gives a growl and a bark, comparable to the look given to people who touch other people’s french fries.
- Ice and Jay – While bullying is never condoned at Costume Discounters, it’s a feel-good moment when Max finally stands up to these two.
- Classic 90’s Fashion – Who doesn’t love mom jeans and a cropped sweater?
- The Decorations – Everybody wishes their towns were this cool at Halloween. (PS – Costume Discounters can help with that!)
- Musical Numbers – Yes, please!
- Billy – This zombie is as sweet as they come, and as cheeky as any zombie you’ll find.
Still need more? Don’t worry! There’s more!
If you want a taste of what it is like to be Max and his little sister Dani, their Salem, MA house is still standing, and there are a few Hocus Pocus tunes to keep the witching party going all night long!
So, there you have it! Plenty of reasons why you should lie around and watch Hocus Pocus more than once this October. If you’re looking to channel your inner-Sanderson sister this Halloween, starting with Costume Discounters’s Witch Costumes is your best bet!