Corned beef and cabbage is so easy to make that it would be a sin to pass up the chance to indulge in this traditional St. Patrick’s Day meal. By tossing all of the ingredients into the crock pot you can prepare it in the morning, head out to your St. Patrick’s Day Parade and then a stop at the pub. By the time you get home it will be done, as if a Leprechaun magically spent the day slaving away in the kitchen to make your dinner. You’ll understand why the Irish are so lucky as soon as you taste it.
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut in 2 inch pieces
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 3 cups water or low sodium chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 corned beef brisket (3-4 lbs) with spice packet, cut in half
- 1 large head cabbage, cut into wedges
- Place the onion, potatoes and carrots in a large crock pot. Combine, garlic (smash it first), and all other spices and liquids, and pour it over vegetables. Top with brisket and cabbage. Brisket should be somewhat submerged. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Serve with bread.
It will give you a stinky house, but it’s yummy in the tummy. Have a few beers and the cabbage smell won’t bother you anymore. The best part of this meal is the leftovers. Stay tuned to our blog for the ultimate Reuben recipe.